Atlas Transfer Case Oil & Lubrication
How Much Oil
The Atlas Transfer Case unit is shipped dry. We recommend 2 quarts for the Atlas 2 speed and 2-1/2 quarts for the Atlas 4 Speed.
The recommended oil is Amsoil’s Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 (MTG). In the past we’ve used Torco’s MTF GL-4 also. If unable to find any of these 2 then you can use:
- Castrol Syntec 5W50
- Valvoline Synthetic 20W50
- Mobil 1 15W50
How to Install
After installing the Atlas at the proper clocking/ rotation in your vehicle then:
- Fill with the recommended oil and amount through the upper fitting of the site tube
- Re-secure the upper fitting of the site tube to the Atlas
- Mark the oil level in the site tube with a small zip tie so you may see the correct oil level at the proper clocking/ rotation of installation in your vehicle
Tips to Remember
- Please monitor oil level frequently.
- Drain and replace after the first 500 miles which is the break-in period for the Atlas bearings to seat properly in their races. This also allows the oil to circulate through the unit in areas assembled with assembly lube.
- After this then drain/ replace at intervals of 10,000 to 15,000 miles.
- DO NOT FLAT TOW an Atlas 4 Speed without removing the drive shafts! The planetary unit AND additional bearings will NOT receive the oil needed as they would under normal driving conditions- damage will occur!
We can only recommend flat towing an Atlas 2 Speed (after the 500 mile break-in period) for a maximum distance of 300 miles and then starting up the vehicle and with transmission in gear and Atlas 2 Speed in neutral letting it idle for 5- 10 minutes. If you do not wish to stop and circulate the oil, we actually prefer that you remove the drive shafts from the vehicle.
Do you have more questions? Talk with one of our experts today - we'd love to help you out.
Our Technical Data Knowledge Base contains information............ Learn More ›
See what others are saying about Advance Adapters!! Click Here!